what is this?

I don't know if it's been made clear enough, but I'm planning on participating in National Novel Writing Month. During the month of November, I'm going to use you as my accountability crew. Whenever I write something more, I'll post at least a portion of it here for you to comment on. If ever you want me to add something in, just leave a comment for me.

Characters you want included, episodes you think would be interesting to read about...etc. I can't promise I'll use them, but I can promise I'll read them, and if you have a blog, I'll try to at least comment back.

I tried to do NaNoWriMo last year and didn't make it through, but I'm really excited about it this year and don't want to give up on it as quickly as I have before. So please! Please be with me on this one! Tell your friends! Get them in on it too! I want as much feedback as possible to keep me going!

Thanks, my faithful readers. You make my life a better place.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chapter Five

“Well,” Tamara began, keeping her voice low and collected, “you remember my sister. She was calm and dutiful; I believe you yourself once went so far as to call her obsequious.”

Yes. I remember your sister. I remember you, as well. For instance, I remember the day you left me and gave your word that you would never come back.


“I’m not coming back,” she protested. “I’m here on behalf of my sister. She’s dead.”

Naturally.


“Naturally?” Tamara asked, still keeping the usual shrillness out of her voice. “There was nothing natural about her death.”

I mean, naturally she has died after trauma like what she has experienced.


Tamara paused, keeping her thoughts off her face. “You knew, then.”

I can feel when one of mine dies. I did some investigation into the circumstances surrounding her. It was a terrible tragedy, but losing life to give life is as strong a fate as dying on the field of battle.


“The life she gave was not worth her sacrifice, and she did not give it willingly,” Tamara said coldly.

Is there something wrong with the child?


“The child sapped her mind until, when he was born, she was little more than a well preserved corpse possessed by a spirit.”

You have harsh feelings against this boy then?


Tamara hesitated. “I am apathetic; I care only about my sister’s final wishes,” she said. “In her last lucid moments, she told me how deeply she hoped for a good home for her son. He is in my care now, but you’ve known me since childhood; I am not a mother.”

It’s too late for that, Tamara. You cannot hide your emotions as well as you think you can; I can feel your hatred for this boy. You don’t mean to bring him here because there is a better home here than with you. You bring him here because you can’t stand to look at him.


“That is not the case,” Tamara said, trying not to take the bait and lose her composure. “Of course you’re too wise for me to fool you into thinking that I want this child as my own. My intentions for coming here are more than what I’ve said. But they do not have to do with any emotions I have in or out of this boy’s favor. I am scared for the safety of people Out There who come into contact with this boy and his obviously formidable powers.”

You think that because your sister died due to complications in childbirth, her son is obviously the culprit? Do you realize how often these things—


“My sister went mad. She did not just die.” Tamara’s voice went flat and she struggled to keep from gritting her teeth.

Silence.

“I am asking for help,” Tamara said. “Before I left, you said I needed to do that more often.”

You’re not asking me to help. You’re asking me to relieve you of a burden.


“He will be safe with you and the rest of the world will be safe without him.”

What is his name?


Tamara blinked. “What?”

What is the boy’s name?


“He—he doesn’t have one. He was just born and his mother is dead.”

What was his father’s name?


“I don’t know,” she said slowly. “I didn’t know him.”

And you didn’t name the child yourself?


“No. I don’t…I am not….my daughter’s name is Mond because of the moons in her eyes. I don’t name things well.”

You have a daughter?


“I took her in two years ago.”

I thought you said you were not fit to be a mother.


“I’m not. Mond and I are only together temporarily. Until I can find her a better home.”

A pause. If I am to take the boy, I will take the girl as well. As payment.


Tamara’s eyes widened in shock. “Payment? In what way does a child ever count as currency?”

You don’t want the boy. You do want the girl.


“I just told you, I’m finding a different home for Mond.”

I can feel your lies, Tamara. You think the girl is worth something. Either I take both or I take neither. Come back to me once you’ve decided.


Tamara could hear the finality in his words. Even though she didn’t want to end the conversation—it didn’t feel over for her part—she knew there was nothing she could do now. She turned and left the clearing. She had a long, cheerless walk through the once-familiar hills. She had forgotten the rank smell of decay.

No comments: