what is this?

I don't know if it's been made clear enough, but I'm planning on participating in National Novel Writing Month. During the month of November, I'm going to use you as my accountability crew. Whenever I write something more, I'll post at least a portion of it here for you to comment on. If ever you want me to add something in, just leave a comment for me.

Characters you want included, episodes you think would be interesting to read about...etc. I can't promise I'll use them, but I can promise I'll read them, and if you have a blog, I'll try to at least comment back.

I tried to do NaNoWriMo last year and didn't make it through, but I'm really excited about it this year and don't want to give up on it as quickly as I have before. So please! Please be with me on this one! Tell your friends! Get them in on it too! I want as much feedback as possible to keep me going!

Thanks, my faithful readers. You make my life a better place.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chapter Twenty-Three

“Rachel is a large woman,” Gus said. He was exponentially more jolly now that they had had a stout lunch and had booked rooms in the inn above the tavern. “I definitely condone large women.”

“I... don’t know what to do with that,” Martha said.

“It’s okay,” Ben said. “I’m pretty sure you’re not alone.”

“So, what is our business here, really?” Tess asked. She had been shyly venturing more and more words into conversations since they entered the town, and as Gus was in a much better mood, the results had overall been positive.

“I was under the impression that I was not a liar,” Guido said. “We are here to replenish our food stores, refresh our bodies, and perhaps explore life outside of Medias, give you all a better idea of what life is going to be like for you from now on.”

“Why did you choose Rachel for us to see first?” Ben asked.

“It’s the closest safe town to the forest,” Guido said. “Taksarus is south of here, almost in the forest a few miles from where we exited, but I didn’t think that your first foray into non-Median life would be best spent trying to avoid death by the grim hand of the thugs in Taksarus.”

Awkward silence hovered around the group after those words.

“Well,” Gus said, “Thanks for thinking of us.”

“So what are we going to do first?” Martha asked. “Replenish, refresh, or self-educate?”

“My vote is replenish,” Gus said seriously. “We can learn about the town as we go around buying things to fill our packs.”

“Are we planning on staying here for very long, Guido?” Ben asked. “If not, I agree with Gus. But if we’ve got some time, I would rather test out those beds upstairs, take a long nap, and maybe a bath.”

“I heartily agree,” Tess said quietly to Ben. “I feel like I have enough dirt on my legs to count for a second layer of skin.”

“We can stay as long as anyone likes,” Guido said. “But I would personally suggest we be moving on. People in the border towns, these settlements nearest the forest, are leary of visitors. The further into the country we go, the safer we’ll be and the longer we’ll be able to stay.”

“Let’s give ourselves three days, then,” Gus said. “Ben, if you want to rest, you can do that. Guido and I will go and restock while the rest of you stay here, and we’ll meet back here for dinner whenever you are ready.”

“I want to go with you,” Martha said, almost pleadingly.

“Weren’t you just complaining about your feet a while ago?” he asked.
She gave him a look that said more than Ben could read.

“It would be useless for you to go alone, Gus,” Guido said. “Among many unwritten rules of non-Median living is that doing anything alone suggests suspicious activity, especially for a man. You add a mysterious talking raven hovering around his head and there is guaranteed to be trouble. Either at least two of you go, or none of us do.”

Martha was pleading with Gus with her eyes. He was trying to say something back, but she was obviously not heeding him. He looked frustrated and conflicted.

“I’ll go,” Tess said. “Ben, you can stay, and I’ll go with Gus and Martha.”

Martha looked relieved, Ben looked confused, and Gus looked less than pleased.

“Martha, stay with me,” Ben protested.

Everyone looked around at him.

“I didn’t realize this group was so politically charged,” Guido said.

“Stay with me, Martha,” Ben repeated. This time it was a demand. Reluctantly she nodded, and they turned together to walk up the stairs.

Gus and Tess looked at each other. Tess looked down at her feet.

“Is there... something I should know?” Guido asked.

“No,” Gus shot. “Let’s get this over with.”

No comments: