what is this?

I don't know if it's been made clear enough, but I'm planning on participating in National Novel Writing Month. During the month of November, I'm going to use you as my accountability crew. Whenever I write something more, I'll post at least a portion of it here for you to comment on. If ever you want me to add something in, just leave a comment for me.

Characters you want included, episodes you think would be interesting to read about...etc. I can't promise I'll use them, but I can promise I'll read them, and if you have a blog, I'll try to at least comment back.

I tried to do NaNoWriMo last year and didn't make it through, but I'm really excited about it this year and don't want to give up on it as quickly as I have before. So please! Please be with me on this one! Tell your friends! Get them in on it too! I want as much feedback as possible to keep me going!

Thanks, my faithful readers. You make my life a better place.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chapter Six

“I’m sorry. You’re unqualified.”

The child across the counter from Ben was at least four years younger than him. Not that anyone had any way of proving that, but Ben felt patronized being told “no” and getting a petty slap on the wrist from someone who didn’t look old enough to wash behind his own ears.

“You’ve all been saying that these past few days,” Ben said hotly, “but you’ve been slow in response when I’ve asked what you mean by it. What makes me unqualified? What do I lack that you have besides baby teeth?”

The boy flushed. “Excuse me, but I’m just doing my job,” he said quickly. “There is a stamp on your paperwork.” He took the folder he’d been examining and turned around to face Ben. Opening the cover, he revealed the word “DENIED” scrawled across the top in large black print.

“What does this mean?” Ben asked. “Who wrote this?”

“I don’t know who writes it, but the protocol is, when someone’s file has it, they’re deemed unqualified for work,” the boy said, still pink in the cheeks. “I’m sorry. I’m just doing my job.”

Ben went back and sat next to Tess.

“What happened?” she asked. “You look…shocked.”

“You know me,” he said, not turning to look at her. “What have I done with my life that anyone outside of my group of friends would take notice of? I’m the most uninteresting person I know.”

“What happened?” she asked again.

“I’ve been ‘denied,’ I guess,” he said. “I’m evidently unqualified, and I don’t know why.” He shook his head and finally looked at her. “I was so hoping for this chance to do something different and maybe even exciting.”

Tess’ brow furrowed and she tightened her lips. “They won’t let you work?” she asked.

Ben shook his head. “No.” He stood up and turned towards the door.

Tess didn’t follow him. She walked up to the counter where Ben had just been standing. “Excuse me,” she said, and the boy, who, while still probably even two years younger that Tess, cowered a little at her glare. “Excuse me, I’d like to speak with your manager.”

“Er…sure,” the boy said. He walked quickly through a door behind the counter.

Ben came up behind Tess. “What are you doing?”

“You’ve been depressed for the past two weeks and you’re obsessed with getting this job. I’m not going to let you continue to make the rest of us crazy because of that.”

Before Ben could respond, a thickly set older boy came out of the door followed by the now brightly blotchy smaller boy. The older one looked about seventeen, three years older than Ben.

“My name’s Riley. What’s the problem?” the boy asked.

Tess looked even more helpless than usual next to his bulk—Ben thought he heard her neck crack when she looked up at him—and she blinked quickly, then hardened herself.

“My friend here would like an explanation as to why he is classified as ‘denied’ on his paperwork,” she said, her face set.

Riley grabbed the folder out of the younger boy’s limp hand and flipped it open to the first page. He examined it up and down, then began flipping through the following pages. When he got to the end, he nodded knowingly, closed the folder, and looked down at Ben.

“I can’t tell you why you’ve been denied; it doesn’t explain that in here,” he said. “I can direct you to someone who could tell you, that is, only if you really want to know.” He emphasized the “really” with a raise of his eyebrows.

Ben narrowed his eyes. “Why wouldn’t I want to know?”

Riley looked away an answered slowly, “I’m not so sure how much you want to meet this person.”

Suddenly Ben felt a strange tingling sensation beginning in his toes and winding its way up his legs, paralyzing him. He tried to look down to see what was going on, but instead he felt himself saying, “I want to see him, Riley. I really want to know.”

He couldn’t move his head, but out of the corner of his eye, he saw Tess had noticed the strange tone of his voice. “I want to go, too,” she said.

Riley looked over at her. “I’m sorry. This person only allows one person at a—”

“We’re lashed,” Tess said. “You can’t stop me.”

Ben felt the tingling sensation wind up his back and around his arms, one of which then reached over and took Tess’ hand. She looked back at him and he turned his head to her. He tried to send her a message by moving his eyes, the only things he had under his control, but she just looked confusedly back at him.

Riley took Ben’s file back from the small boy. “It says in here that he is alone. Not lashed.”

“That file must be outdated,” Ben felt himself say. “I can’t remember a time when I was alone.”

Riley looked suspiciously at them both. “If you’re lying, it could cost you.”

Tess stiffened, but said, “We like our chances, then.”

“Okay,” Riley said. “You’re going to see Medias.”

Ben breathed in quickly as he felt the paralysis leave him, and his grip on both Tess’ hand and gravity slackened and he almost fell over.

“Will you set up the appointment?” Tess was asking as Ben came fully back into himself.

“He’ll be expecting you within the week.”

She thanked him, Ben tried to follow suit, and they walked out.

No comments: